Hello! My name is Linus Arver and this is my blog.
Please email me at
linus at ucla dot edu for anything related to this blog. I have long since graduated from UCLA, but they gave me a lifetime email address. ;)
I use free/open-source software almost exclusively as much as possible. Here are some of them I heartily recommend.
- NixOS - my favorite OS
- dm-crypt/LUKS - my choice for block device encryption
- Terminus - my favorite monospaced font
- rxvt-unicode (aka
urxvt) - the only sane Unicode-aware terminal emulator
- Xmonad - the crash-proof tiled window manager
- Vim - an advanced text editor
- Emacs - an even more advanced text editor
- evil - an Emacs addon that makes it behave like Vim
- git - distributed data versioning
- GnuPG (aka
gpg) - a way to ensure secure communications
- Firefox - the most mature and stable customizable web browser
- Pentadactyl - addon to make Firefox behave like Vim
- Qutebrowser - a lightweight browser that takes the best of Firefox + Pentadactyl experience
- Texlive - the modern TeX environment (XeTeX being my preferred engine)
- Lilypond - if TeX is the sophisticated typesetting system, then Lilypond is the sophisticated sheet-music-setting system
- Blender - an advanced 3D graphics program
- Luxrender - an advanced photorealistic renderer, which pairs nicely with Blender via luxblend
Everything except links on this site will be self-contained and safely accessible forever. Hakyll comes with a link checker for the entire site so dead links should be a non-issue.